US News

article

The House Oversight Committee on Tuesday night made public thousands of documents connected to Jeffrey Epstein’s abuse case.

The unexpected release came just before lawmakers are set to vote Wednesday on whether to formally authorize the committee’s inquiry into Epstein.

Though the upcoming vote is mainly symbolic, it would also instruct the committee to disclose the Epstein documents it obtained from the Department of Justice (DOJ).

Nearly 34,000 pages are being published, including the DOJ’s interview with Ghislaine Maxwell and video recordings that appear to show inside Epstein’s Palm Beach property.

House Oversight Committee Chairman James Comer, R-Ky., had issued a subpoena in early August compelling the DOJ to hand over all files tied to its investigation into Epstein and Maxwell.

That move followed a bipartisan vote in late July during an unrelated hearing of the Oversight Committee.

“This is the most thorough investigation into Epstein and Maxwell to date, and we are getting results,” Comer told the House Rules Committee on Tuesday.

“We have already deposed former Attorney General Bill Barr, the Department of Justice provided nearly 34,000 pages of documents and will produce more, which are being made public as we speak.”

Rep. Robert Garcia, D-Calif., the panel’s ranking Democrat, countered that around 97% of the files had already been accessible to the public.

The sudden release appears aimed at countering efforts by Reps. Thomas Massie, R-Ky., and Ro Khanna, D-Calif., who are pushing their own measure to force the DOJ to disclose Epstein-related records.

The two lawmakers are advancing a discharge petition — a rare maneuver allowing rank-and-file members to override leadership if a majority sign on.

If successful, it could put Republicans in a bind, forcing them to weigh the risks of opposing transparency measures or challenging their own leadership.

Massie told Fox News Digital earlier this week that he believed enough lawmakers would sign by week’s end.

“I think there’s a real good chance of that,” he said.

But Comer argued that his committee is already ahead of Massie and Khanna’s initiative.

“We’re going to go beyond it. We’re already getting the documents from the administration,” Comer said. “I don’t think [the discharge petition is] necessary at all.”

Beyond subpoenaing the DOJ and questioning Barr, Comer’s panel has also issued subpoenas to former Attorney General Loretta Lynch, former FBI Director James Comey, former President Bill Clinton, and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.